Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Music

I chose to listen and respond to the Matisyahu, "Youth" album. I remember the very first time I heard of Matisyahu, I was so suprised. I actually remember it perfectly, I went to go visit my cousins at OSU and when I went to their dorms, in the lobby on the bulletin there was a picture of a religious man holding a microphone. On the paper it said, "Chabad presents, Matisyahu in Concert at OSU". I was shocked. I called the number on the paper and actually went to go see that concert. This was probably around 2-3 years ago, and now I sign on to American Online and what's the first thing I see, "Matisyahu". I can't believe how well he has been doing, he really made a name for himself. I really enjoyed listening to his "Youth" album, personally I love reggae. Matisyahu uses good beats, along with Jewish related words. Not only is he promoting good music, he is also promoting Judaism. He is proof that one can be religious and still have a life in the "secular" world. I usually don't choose favorites, but if I had to choose one song off of the Youth album, it would be King Without A Crown. I love how it crescendos throughout the whole song, it makes you feel real good. No one has ever really seen a man like this before, it really is unbelieveable if you think about it. He was able to connect to people through his music, many can relate to the type of music and enjoy it. I don't know Matisyahu personally, however maybe Judiasm and Hip-Hop/Reggae are both extremely important in his life and he is able to express both, Judiasm through the words and Hip-Hop/Reggae through the beats and melodies. Lastly, I even saw the Matisyahu cd at starbucks. That may not sound amazing, however I always look at the starbucks cds and they only pick and choose which cds they would like to sell. It just so happens that out of all the cds, Matisyahu was one of them. That has to say something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<